Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Parenting #01

Host of the party:"What time you've got to make a move to home?"

Guest:"It has to be before 11p.m. Any later than that and i'm screwed."

Host:"Ah, okays. By the way, will Andrew be able to make it today?"

Guest:"As usual, his parents don't let him come out. Don't have to invite him anymore la.. don't say party, normal simple outing also like end of the world to their parents."

Host:"True.. but I heard that he curi curi climbs out of the house and lie big time to his parents if he were to get caught. Susahlah, his parents."

If this discussion was held back when I was 15 or 16, by all means, I can still comprehend.

Thing is, discussions like these are still occurring around me today.

Would a parent calling you up to find out where their son/daughter went while you're 20 years old seems rather exaggerated to you, or it happens to you all the time?

People say, the key issue about parenting is - Trust.

Once the child breaks it, even while very young, the parents find it hard to buy their words. On a personal aspect, I broke that trust. I lied to go to cyber cafe when I was only 13, but everyone else was going and it was so much fun going there. Ever since I became a Christian, through God's guidance, I managed to heal that crack of trust between me and my parents.

It took me time, but it did earn their trust. To let them know what sort of friends I'm mixing with and the activities that I do. It's far from drinking, smoking or taking drugs. Everything else was least of their concern.

After 17, the word "curfew" don't exist anymore in my vocabulary. But it's until I meet certain friends who bring up that word, I was appalled.

"You've got to be kidding me, curfew?"

4 comments:

Ennie said...

*shrugs* It's for their own good mah. My sisters are like, 24 and 22, and when they're home for the hols they're on a leash all the time. I think it's a pretty good "habit" to maintain, really, coming home before 11. I generally don't like staying out past midnight cuz it's never productive.

I don't even know if you had to mention trust since that's kind of.. non-explanatory.

s u n d a e said...

It's good to have curfew, if you yourself make one and ensure you abide to it.

But if your parents are the ones behind it, it's a whole different story itself.

Whether it's non-explanatory, it's still crucial to emphasize on it, isn't it not? =)

Ennie said...

Mmmm, emphasizing and stating aren't really the same thing. And I don't think that it's right to say that it's "not right" if your parents are the ones implementing the curfew and not yourself, since I would argue that even at 18 a person isn't necessarily mature and socially responsible enough to decide for him/herself.

s u n d a e said...

Well, my point here is, if it IS the case that you can't make wise decisions on your own, then it would be wise for your parents to set curfew for you.

But for those who can make decisions on their own, or at least learn to by not restricting them to, then it would be wise to not set them curfews.

Trust me, i don't just conclude like that. :)